Some common questions:
Center State Engine' Promise & Customer Guarantee
We at Center State Engine truly appreciate and value our customer's questions and input. We have compiled a strong list of commonly asked questions and helpful tips to help answer some of these pressing questions. Our somewhat lengthy FAQ page was developed as a direct result of answering the concerns, curiosities, emailed questions and phone calls of our valued browsers and customers, but please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions. There is no question too small. Your 100% satisfaction is always our goal.
What is the difference between an automotive and marine engine?
Beyond external accessories, there are three main internal differences between an automotive and marine engine: camshaft, head gaskets, freeze plugs.
1. Camshaft: There is a major performance difference between a marine and automotive camshaft. A marine engine camshaft produces much more torque than your typical automotive camshaft. The amount of torque that a marine engine requires is very similar to the amount of torque required to drive up a steep hill in an automotive application. The difference is that in a marine application this amount of torque is required 100% of the time whereas in an automotive application this type of torque requirement is needed very minimally. Your typically automotive camshaft is not made to hold up to the torque requirement of a marine engine.
2. Head Gaskets: Marine engines require the use of stainless steel head gaskets. Standard automotive head gaskets will not hold up in a salt water environment.
3. Freeze Plugs: Marine engines require the use of brass or stainless steel freeze plugs. Standard automotive steel freeze plugs will corrode and not hold up in a salt water environment.
Center State Engine' Shipping Policies
Parts: We ship all of our parts (less than 200 lbs) by FedEx. There may be ocassions where USPS or UPS is used upon request by the customer or when we feel that another carrier may be better suited to ship the item (faster service time, etc.)
Engines or parts orders over 200 lbs: We ship our engines by freight all over the continental USA, Canada, and Mexico. Carriers used depend on customer location, services required (residential delivery, liftgate delivery, etc.) Typically FedEx Freight is used.
For International Customers:
Parts: We ship our parts worldwide. Typically FedEx is used and international shipping prices on parts can be calculated at checkout. There may be ocassions where USPS or DHL is used upon request by the customer or when we feel that another carrier may be better suited to ship the item (faster service time, etc.)
Engines or parts orders over 250 lbs: We typically offer three international shipping services on engines and parts orders over 250 lbs.: ocean freight, door to airport (air freight), door to door (air freight).
Ocean Freight: Ocean freight is the most economical way to ship internationally. This shipping option requires that the customer handle picking up the freight at the port in the destination country. Transit times are usually between 20-50 days. Booking numbers are provided to customers upon shipment by email.
Door to Airport (Air Freight): Door to airport is the middle of the ground option for international freight. Freight is picked up at our warehouse location and transported by air to the airport closest to the customer. This shipping option requires that the customer handle picking up the freight at the airport in the destination country. Transit times are usually between 7-12 days. Booking numbers are provided to customers upon shipment by email.
Door to Door (Air Freight): Door to door is the most expensive option for international freight but requires the least hassle. Freight is picked up at our warehouse location and transported by air to the customers door, typically by FedEx or UPS. Transit times are usually between 7-14 days. Tracking numbers are provided to customers upon shipment by email.
* Notice about international orders: Center State Engine is not responsible for: taxes, duties, port fees, airport fees, unloading charges, destination charges, customs fees, or any other fees required during the importing of goods to your respective country. All of our international freight shipping options are shipped by CPT terms for ocean freight. Insurance is provided at no extra charge.
How do I set the Ignition Timing on my Engine?
For Center State Engine carbureted engine packages:
1. Be sure that the timing shunt is plugged into the back of the distributor (see diagram).
2. Start engine.
3. Loosen the distributor clamp.
4. Connect the loose end of the black wire to 12 volts positive power. (you will hear the ending "rev" down).
5. Bring engine to idle (650-800 RPM).
6. Connect a timing light to #1 spark plug wire.
7. With timing light pointed at the harmonic balancer, manually rotate distributor until the correct timing position (see chart below) is aligned with the groove on the timing cover.
8. Tighten distributor clamp to hold correct timing position.
9. Recheck timing.
10. Detach timing connector from the power source and either remove the timing connector or leave in place to then wire to shift interrupt switch.
11. Detach timing light.
What type of Oil Should I use in My Engine?
On all of our Chevy based marine engines (3.0L -> 8.2L) we recommend the use of 15W40 Pennzoil Marine Engine oil. If for some reason in your region 15W40 is not available 20W50 can be used. We recommed the use of non-synthetic oil during break in procedure.
What type of Warranty is provided with my purchase?
All of our new and remanufactured marine engines are supplied with an industry standard 1 year limited parts and labor warranty.
Almost every part that we sell on our website includes a warranty provided by the manufacturer. If you experience a problem with a purchase that you made with us please contact us for more information on warranty procedure unless otherwise expressed in that item's packaging.
More information on our product's warranties can be found here
What is Center State Engine' Return Policy?
We want our customers to be happy with their purchase. If for some reason you need to return something that you purchased from us please contact us within 7 days of receipt of the item. Unless we shipped you the wrong item, we cannot pay return shipping or refund the original shipping charge (if applicable). Some exclusions apply (see below). Some items may require a 15% restocking fee.
Special order items are not returnable.
Electronics: electronic items are not returnable unless they do not work out of the box.
Engines: once installed engines are not returnable. Engines that have not been installed and where the original shipping crate is still available can be returned but there will be a 15% restocking fee imposed.